Home : Prospective Participants : Participants : Returnees : Reciprocity Students : Faculty
& Staff
: Contacts : The World at UCI

Prospective Participants

Program Options

Important Information

international opportunities program - work

There are numerous opportunities to work abroad as a student or recent graduate through short-term work exchange programs. The Study Abroad Center's focus is to assist students to find these exchange programs, as opposed to permanent career positions abroad. This page contains links to work abroad related web sites, as well as listings of some of the more well-known programs that exist. The most helpful resources, those with which we suggest you begin your search, are noted with gold stars. If you are a UCI student and decide to participate in one of these, or any other program abroad, you are an IOP participant and need to pick up IOP Forms and Information from the Study Abroad Center!


Jobs Abroad
An extensive web site listing work programs by

University of Michigan's Work Abroad Resources
Provides a good overview of student work abroad options. Search for work opportunities all over the globe. 

Transitions Abroad: Best Work Abroad Resources
A bimonthly magazine for those interested in working, studying, and living abroad. This section of their web site compiles the most essential work abroad resources.


This listing is meant to highlight only a few programs and is by no means complete.

American-Scandinavian Foundation - Finland

Paid short-term and long-term training positions are available in Finland. Fields change from time to time, but often include teaching English as well as paid internships in areas related to international law and human rights; biology, biotechnology, ecology, and environmental science. Length of positions vary. From homepage, click on: Training programs > Americans to Scandinavia .

Au Pair in Europe

Au Pair Europe offers au pair placements to both U.S. and Canadian citizens in countries such as Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bermuda, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Language proficiency may be required for some countries. Positions range in length of service and extended stays may be an option.


The British Universities North America Club (BUNAC) allows participants to experience short-term paid work in Australia, Canada, France, Ireland, or New Zealand. Participants find their own jobs and may work in any field, although most find work in the service industry (retail, restaurants, pubs, etc.). BUNAC’s job resources. The program is open to U.S. citizens or legal residents ages 18-35 who are full-time students or graduating seniors, provided they begin the program within 6 months after graduation. Costs include a work permit fee, and students should be prepared to pay for costs incurred before receiving a first paycheck. Internship opportunities in Britain and volunteer opportunities in Cambodia, Peru and South Africa are also available.


Camp Counselors USA (CCUSA) is an international working adventure specialist that organizes summer camp jobs, volunteer opportunities and intensive work and travel experiences here and abroad.  Locations include Russia, Croatia, Africa, the Americas, Australia/New Zealand, and Asia.  Program duration varies and can be as little as two weeks or as long as twelve months! Opportunities include teaching, health care, wildlife and environmental conservation, and camp counselor.  CCUSA programs may be of particular interest to students majoring in International Relations, Foreign Languages, Anthropology, and Environmental studies...but all students are welcome!

CDS International

CDS offers training opportunities in Germany, Singapore, Switzerland, Argentina and Turkey ranging from 3-24 months in business/finance, marketing/PR, information technology, engineering, and other related fields. Every program consists of an internship component; some have academic or language training elements as well. CDS arranges placements and acquires appropriate work permits in addition to other logistical support. Depending upon program, knowledge of foreign language required and financial aid is available.

French Ministry of Education

The French Ministry of Education offers paid teaching assistantship positions to teach English in primary and secondary schools in France. Applicants must be American citizens, 20-30 years of age, graduates or undergraduates, majoring or minoring in French, or having a good working knowledge of French. Teaching appointments begin in October and last 6-7 months. Applications are available on-line in September and the priority deadline is mid-December (for the following October).

IAESTE: International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience

IAESTE offers paid internships in over 30 countries in technical fields such as engineering, computer science, mathematics, natural/physical sciences, architecture, and agricultural science. Most placements last for 8-12 weeks over the summer, though fall and long-term programs are also available. Application deadline is December 1st.


InterExchange offers a variety of programs for both US and non-US citizens (summer and year-long) including: au pair/childcare, hotel and restaurant training, teaching, and international internships. Countries offered vary by program, but include choices such as Australia, Costa Rice, England, France, and Spain.

International Cooperative Education (ICE)

Join the hundreds of American college and university students who travel to Europe, Australia, Asia, and South America each summer to live and work in paid positions abroad. As an ICE program participant, you'll gain invaluable international work, culture, and language experience which you'll carry with you the rest of your life.  Each working experience is unique and tailored to the student's interests, language ability and goals.

JET - Japan Exchange and Teaching Program

JET is a program is sponsored by the Japanese government. Positions are available as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT), Coordinator for International Relations (CIR), or -- for non-U.S. citizens only -- Sports Exchange Advisor (SEA). The salary is sufficient to cover personal expenses for living in Japan, and round-trip air transportation is provided. Japanese language not required. Contracts are for one year with extensions available. JETAA is a web site set up for JET Alumni. JET-L is an e-mail listserv set up for the purpose of discussion between returned and prospective JET participants. Subscribe to: by sending an e-mail with nothing in the subject line and write subscribe listname yourfirstname yourlastname in the body of the message.


Study Abroad Center
University of California, Irvine • Irvine, CA 92697
© 2011 The Regents of the University of California.
All Rights Reserved.

Comments & Questions : Privacy & Legal Notice : Copyright Inquiries