Study Abroad in Your Major HomeHow to Get CreditEAP Program SearchDegree Requirements How to Apply


English Majors Study Abroad


Why study English abroad?

"Especially for English majors, I think the EAP experience is ideal, even essential. Going abroad is more than accumulating classes at a different institution:  it is becoming accustomed to habits, customs, sights, sounds, and smells that are unfamiliar, and the educational value of all these things far exceeds the value of a class on Shakespeare or Goethe, however much you learn directly from it.  Oscar Wilde joked that Britain and America were two cultures separated by a common language, so that if you go to England, Scotland or Wales, you will experience how the British relation to the English language is different from ours.  If you go to Ireland, Australia, or India, you will appreciate how the Empire exported English culture and how it was adapted and changed in the process.  If you go to any other European country (or even a non-European one), you will gain a greater understanding of how literature in English, since the ninth century, has both used and departed from different traditions.  When you return from abroad, I am convinced that you will find your UCI experience immeasurably richer."

- Richard W. Kroll
Professor of English

Making EAP Fit

To demonstrate how EAP can fit into your UCI experience, we have created a few different strategies to help you conceptualize planning for study abroad. Below are a few suggestions to assist students in making EAP fit.

Click below for some suggested programs for English Majors:

English (pdf)

Strategies for English Majors

The English major requirements best suited to take abroad are:

- 2nd year language plus foreign language literature course
- upper division English requirements

Note: These are only a few strategies that demonstrate how a student can study abroad and graduate within 4 years. There are many EAP programs that can be substituted into the same strategies. DO NOT LET THESE EXAMPLES LIMIT YOU. Please consult the EAP Program Search for more options.
Semester abroad taking 2nd year language & foreign lang. lit. course
Semester abroad taking upper division English requirements


UCIrvine HomepageCenter for Int'l Education Home Prospective StudentsFAQ CIEContact Us

(c) 2011 University of California, Irvine
Study Abroad Center